Thursday, April 2, 2009

Schedule Conflict Leads to Generous Gift


I’ve been a member of Pikes Peak Writers (PPW) for almost two years now, although I’ve considered myself a writer since the early 80’s when I was Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper and even more so in the 90’s when I wrote my first novel. I had been taking writing classes and attending conferences for over a decade when the PPW Conference arrived last April, but didn't go … mainly because I was a ‘fraidy cat and totally unprepared.

Not wanting to look bad in front of my peers, I blamed my lack of attendance on something more convincing: no money. After all, how could I admit that I was too scared to go, especially since I wasn’t a conference rookie? Was it because I resigned the previous year to work on my newest book and didn’t want to give an agent or editor the opportunity to reject it? To reject me? In addition, I was too chicken to apply for a scholarship, because what would I do if my application was approved? That would require attending the conference and--*gasp*--facing my fears!

By the time the April 2008 Write Brain meeting ended and we had practiced pitching, everyone else’s excitement rubbed off on me; I regretted making excuses, so I determined that next year, come hell or high water I would go.

Interestingly enough, hell didn’t come this year, but high water sure did: My husband Greg got laid off in January, and this time, I really didn’t have the $300 for the registration fees. Our tax refund went toward catching up our mortgage, and because I was still “just a writer” (and a non-published, a/k/a unpaid one at that), I was heartbroken that the 2009 Conference would pass me over once again. At least this year I had a legitimate reason.

Pikes Peak Writers shares space with Cottonwood Artists' School (n/k/a Cottonwood Center for the Arts) in downtown Colorado Springs, and the owners recently purchased a new building a few blocks away from their present location. They solicited PPW for volunteers to help paint and move, so I put my book on hold and showed up to help in any way I could. Two days later, I dragged Greg in with me to help.

The new building is HUGE, which means lots of walls to prime and paint! Because there have been so few volunteers, Greg and I have been there almost every day, putting in 6- to 9-hour days, helping them get ready for their Grand Opening on April 24-25. After all, if we're not working, there's no reason why we can't be volunteering.

Peggy Vicaro is the director at Cottonwood. She's not an artist, but does call herself a "wannabe writer." Getting to know Peggy and owner Kay Jeansonne over the past several weeks has been a privilege, to say the least. I was excited for Peggy when I learned she was going to the PPW Conference, as she's pretty new to the writing scene. I also got better acquainted with Chris Mandeville, Community Ambassador and past President of PPW, as she and her boys painted the new office. When she discovered I wasn't able to go to the conference due to our financial situation, she was disappointed. I optimistically said, “There’s always next year.” Besides, it was my own fault for not applying for a scholarship sooner, regardless that PPW had to pull the link early. It would be a lesson for next year to get online as soon as registration opens so that I won’t miss out.

The next day when Chris arrived to finish painting, she said, "I need to talk to you." Her tone of voice caused my stomach to flip, as I thought I was in trouble for something. I had just written the cover story for this month's NewsMag, so I thought I might've messed up on some details. When she met up with me in the Gallery, she smiled and said, "I have some news for you. You might want to sit down for this." Now her tone had me curious!

I expectantly faced her as she excitedly announced, "You're going to the conference!"

"What! How?" I asked, shocked.

"After I left last night, I was sad that you couldn’t go and there were no more scholarships available, especially since you’ve put in so many hours volunteering here. So I called Ron [Heimbecher, current PPW President], and told him we have to do something! Turns out Peggy can’t go because Cottonwood’s Open House is the same weekend, so she is giving her registration to you!”

Tears of joy immediately stung my eyes as I thanked Chris profusely for pulling some strings. “That is so generous of all of you! Thank you SO much!”

I was flabbergasted (and I don’t use that word often!). Just days before, I had prayed that God would make a way for me to be able to attend, and did He deliver or what? I was totally amazed at the huge sacrifice Peggy was making for me to go, at Chris’s determination to find a way to get me there, and Ron’s willingness to make an exception.

Volunteering is a simple way for me to give back to the community, to put my skills and talents to good use, and to bless others. I don’t volunteer with the expectation to get something in return; I do it out of a heart of serving. However, I have to admit that when it “pays off” like this, I won’t decline the gifts that others want to share with me.

When I went to the old location that Saturday afternoon to have lunch, I saw Peggy sitting on the floor with several other volunteers. I walked over to her, tears welling up again, and said, “I owe you a big thank you and a big hug!” I held out my hand to pull her up, and gave her a big squeeze!

“Oh, it was my pleasure,” she graciously responded.

“No, the pleasure was all mine! You have no idea!” I said.

Now I just gotta’ get my revised proposal done!

No comments: