Sunday, November 2, 2008

Emergency Leads to Big Break and Other Updates

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to join a friend at a Career Fair at Wasson High School in Colorado Springs. She's the owner of a bakery, Creative Cakes, and taught me cake decorating which I now do as a side job. I was honored that she invited me, as I would be able to share insight with the students of being a "newbie" who was trying her hand at the business of cake decorating.

While there, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to write a story for YourHub, so I took out my pad of paper, pencil, and camera, and went to work taking candids and interviewing students and professionals (http://coloradosprings.yourhub.com/Powers/Stories/Education/School-News/Story~434565.aspx). I met the editor of Hispania News, and told him that I was a writer as well. We chatted a bit about the stories I write, and he invited me to talk to the kids about journalism! I was flattered!

The really big break was when he received an emergency phone call and had to leave for a couple of hours, so I was on my own! This was such a terrific opportunity for me. I spoke to the kids about my magazine articles that were published, how I spoke to some elementary school students about a career in writing, the stories I've posted on YourHub, and the book I'm working on. I was on a natural high the entire afternoon and well into the evening, and I hope my enthusiasm for writing was encouraging to some of them about pursuing a career as a writer, reporter, editor, etc.

Another update: I have scheduled a date for my new writer's group to begin: March 19 at 6:30 p.m. is the big day, and I decided to name it "Clio's Club" (see http://coloradosprings.yourhub.com/Powers/Stories/About-Town/Story~431684.aspx for details). I am looking forward to seeing how it goes, and how many people show up. I will be posting information on meetup.com soon, so check back often.

More news: I have conducted several interviews lately about a ministry I used to be a part of, plus I did an interview for an addiction recovery ministry at my church. I'm really liking the entire interviewing process and have several more scheduled this month. Here are the links:

Women of Courage - Debra: http://coloradosprings.yourhub.com/Powers/Stories/Faith/General-Faith/Story~436628.aspx

Women of Courage - Santina: http://coloradosprings.yourhub.com/Powers/Stories/Faith/General-Faith/Story~437886.aspx

Celebrate Recovery - Buck and Carol: http://coloradosprings.yourhub.com/Powers/Stories/Faith/Church-News/Story~437246.aspx

Feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think. Our church is also going through some renovations, and I interviewed the artists at the company doing all the work and will be posting that story after I get more information from the church. Exciting times! I'll keep you updated on all that's going on.

No comments: