Sunday, November 2, 2008

Time Flies When You're Having Fun



Wow! Where on earth has all the time gone? I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to update my blog! Shame on me! So much has been going on, I don't know where to start.

As an aside, I'm embarrassed that I thought blog.com and blogger.com were the same sites. No wonder I couldn't find my "I Am a Writer" blog when I signed in! I can really be dense sometimes, but I'm still so new to all this blogging stuff, so don't laugh, okay? I decided to consolidate all my blogs into one spot, so I copied and pasted my old entries and started this new one here.

So . . . let's see . . . where did I leave off . . .?

I formed Clio's Club in March and held our first meeting in April at Panera Bread on Powers next to Best Buy, and two other writers showed up. We talked about the projects we're working on, what we were looking for in a writers' group, possible topics to discuss, etc.

For the second meeting in May, no one showed! Bummer. I figured the meeting hadn't gotten the same exposure as the first in the Gazette YourHub insert, so I made use of the time by working on my book.

By the third meeting in June, I was really wondering if people didn't like me, so I checked YourHub Events only to discover I hadn't made it a "recurring event." DOH! I think it turned out better that way because I was too busy with other stuff going on for me to start up yet another writer's meeting. I decided not to continue.

Also in April, I was asked by Radiant Church to paint some classroom murals in the Early Childhood Wing as part of their Extreme Makeover (see my "Stephanie Johnson Murals" blog), so several months flew by as I worked on that project. In the meantime, I was still attending Old Colorado City Writer's Group, Pikes Peak Writers, and Springs Writers meetings.

OCCWG started a new critique group in June and I'd been attending those meetings in addition to the general monthly writers' meeting. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback and constructive criticism on my manuscript, and have implemented many suggestions. One author, Jon Horton, highly recommended I work the book into a magazine article, as the topic is very "hot" and could land me a nice chunk-o-change. I'll have to research the possibilities on that one.

The Co-Organizer of OCCWG, David Esker, relinquished his title and duties while I was out of town but I didn't get the e-mail, so when I found out, I volunteered for the position. After all, I take all the minutes during our meetings anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to pick this responsibility up as well, especially after Karen gave me her blessing to start up OCCWG as a group on Facebook.

When Greg accepted a new job in August in Rifle, we were gone for the entire month of September, living in a tent at Rifle Gap State Park, and by the time I came "home," the critique group had disbanded. Deb Buckingham and Anita Romero, members of OCCWG, have continued attending the Writers Write Tuesday meeting of OCCWG, so we all go to that meeting faithfully.

Disappointed with the direction OCCWG was headed, Deb decided to form her own meetup group and "borrowed" the name "Writers Write." (The name comes from Karen Linamen, who constantly reminds us that "writers write," and encourages us to do exactly that.) Deb took the liberty of adding OCCWG's Tuesday meeting to her group's calendar as well, so now the meeting has double exposure. Deb added me as the Co-Organizer to Writers Write, but so far she hasn't delegated any work for me to do. Anita is the Meeting Facilitator, and does a fantastic job of guiding the meeting discussion.

Moving right along . . . another group I attend is Springs Writers, founded by Scoti Domeij. I first heard about her group from Ted Weaver when I attended the American Christian Writers Conference where I first met Karen Linamen several years ago and have attended ever since. In March 2008, Springs Writers had Shana Schutte as a guest speaker. She talked about "writing juicy," "mind-mapping," overcoming writers block, and the different "hats" that writers wear: explorer's hat, artist beret, construction hardhat, combat helmet, etc. I took copius notes.

I would frequently see Shana at the Pikes Perk at Academy and Vickers where we met for Writers Write, so one day I finally got up enough nerve to tell Shana how much I enjoyed hearing her speak, even showing her her own business card that I had picked up after her talk. She commented that I must've met her somewhere previously since I prounounced her name correctly. I introduced Shana to my fellow writers, and over the weeks, she would pop in at our table to say hi and ask about our projects. I, for one, was star struck.

Weeks passed, and one day when I arrived late for a meeting, Deb shared with me that Shana had come over earlier and asked her if she had an agent (Deb writes "chick lit," and is working on a book titled "Out of the Box"). Deb told her no, so Shana asked her if she wanted one. Well, of course! (Was that a trick question?) I was so excited for Deb and the possibility that Shana might be able to hook her up with her own agent.

About a week or two later Deb, Anita, and I were busily typing away when Shana approached our table. To Deb's dismay, Shana announced that her agent didn't handle chick lit, but was looking for a writer with a "platform." I blurted, "I have a platform!" Shana asked me to send her an e-mail with details, and offered to send it along to her agent. I had had her e-mail from her business card, plus I had her Web site marked as a favorite, so I knew how to get in touch with her. I quickly sent off a paragraph or two about the memoir I was working on and waited for a response.

Weeks passed, and I was beginning to worry. I had seen Shana at Pikes Perk, but didn't want to harass her about my e-mail. She'd get back to me when she had an answer. Another week or two later, she let me know that her agent's grandmother had passed away and was out of town for the funeral, but as soon as she heard anything, she'd let me know.

In the meantime, I busied myself writing my memoir, finishing up the murals at the church, and doing the family thing with my kids who were visiting for the summer. I sort of of gave up hope that her agent would be interested, and put getting a response on the back burner as life got in the way.

One day, I checked my e-mail and saw a name I didn't recognize. The subject line read "Referral from Shana" and I immediately thought my daughter, Shaina, had somehow gotten into trouble at school (but the sender had misspelled her name)! That was ludicrous! Not my straight-A student. It was probably someone at the school needing a reference letter for a college scholarship program Shaina was applying for or something to that effect.

As I read the e-mail, I nearly peed my pants! It was Shana's agent and she asked me to send my book proposal and a sample chapter! OMG! All this time I could've been working on my proposal, but I convinced myself there was no way she'd be interested, so I simply didn't think about tackling it. Ohmygosh, did I, a WRITER, actually say that??

Where to begin???

"Book Proposals That Sell: 21 Secrets to Speed Your Success" by W. Terry Whalin was a good start. I immediately got busy. Would I be able to finish it in a reasonable time so as not to make "Agent B" think I wasn't interested?

Then several roadblocks came along. My husband accepted a job in Rifle and, being the supportive wife I am, went with him, thinking it would be a week. I would head to the library to write, take notes, do research, etc. Slowly but surely, the proposal was developing, but the book took on a life of its own, metamorphosing into a how-to book instead of a memoir as I considered what the book had to offer the reader.

One week in the campground became four, and we couldn't afford the gas for me to drop Greg off at work every morning, go back to the library or tent, then make the circuit a second time every evening. So I was stuck at the campground, writing everything in longhand, but at least I was working on it! I was becoming resentful of being holed up in this campground with no Internet, electricity, cell service, laptop. But that's another story.

After a month, I begged Greg to let me stay home to work on my proposal in the comfort of my office, and he relented even though he really needed my company. I was so happy to get back to Writers Write and see "my girls!" I showed my spiral notebook to Anita and Deb, filled with my rough draft proposal, bibliography, and notes. They were impressed, but I shared with them how overwhelming it was, especially since the proposal had created a new monster. I chided myself for not starting months ago, even before Shana offered to ask her agent about it.

The next week, Anita asked me if my proposal was done.

"No," I answered sheepishly. She didn't want to hear my excuses. When I shared how I was still trying to figure out how to do the synopsis now that the direction of the book had changed, she said, "I think you should keep it a memoir. And I think you're dragging your feet."

I hung my head in shame--she knew me well. I even have a quote written on my office wall: Stop hiding from success because you're afraid you'll fail." I wasn't living my quotes!

Anita suggested, "Keep it a memoir and pitch it as a three-book series."

"But I've written the proposal as a memoir/how-to combination, with my daughter's point of view as the companion book! I can't change it now!"

She insisted. I argued. I gave reasons. I justified the changes.

She expounded on the benefits of a three-book pitch. She reassured my by saying, "Pitch it as a memoir, how-to, and companion three-book series. If she likes your proposal but doesn't like the three books, she'll tell you and make you rewrite the proposal. Keep in mind that whatever you submit will get rewritten anyway, so it's better to send her something now before she loses interest."

Anita was right.

So that's where I am now. I am rewriting the proposal, hoping to WOW "Agent B" with my outline, but frustrated that I need to change everything!!!

I'm sure I'll be thanking Anita when the agent offers me a contract.

And I'll be sure to list Anita's name second in my Acknowledgments, after my agent, of course.

No comments: